Tuesday, November 4, 2008

America Votes for Change

The American People have spoken and Barack Obama will become the 44th President of the United States of America.
Today, Tuesday, November 4, 2008, was my first time being allowed to vote for the president. However, when I arrived at Grace Baptist Church in San Jose to cast my vote, I was taken by surprise as a man picked my pocket, making today a day of firsts. I have never been robbed before, and unfortunately my driver's license was taken by his grasp as well. Not only was I short twenty five dollars, but a right to vote as well, with no form of proper identification. Hopefully, in four years I will be able exercise my right to vote for the President of the United States.
This election was the most controversial in the history of our country. However today would of been historic no matter who won. Under John McCain, was Sarah Palin, who could have been the first female vice president, as well as Barack Obama, who is now the first African American President of the United States. In my personal opinion, when it comes to leading our country out of economic crisis, race and gender are my last concern.
Cnn.com was my number one source to the election. The website provided the world with updates by the second. Obama won by a landslide, with 388 electoral votes, in comparison to McCain's 155 electoral votes. Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Iowa, Flordia, Virginia, and Ohio, all previously Republican, were converted by Obama's campaign.
As a proud Republican in a Democratic state, rather than wallow in defeat, I can only accept the change that the majority of my country has voted for and support our new president. I can only hope that President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and the Democratic congress keeps their promises to build a new economy and to rebuild our country's leadership in the world. Especially since our country is in the face of what is arguably the darkest economic outlook since the Great Depression. A lot of pressure is riding on President Obama to lead us through the many challenges we face.

2 comments:

camccune said...

I'm sorry to hear that your pocket was picked, and that you didn't get to vote. How disappointing!

I think we are all hoping for the best. These are tough times, and we need to work together to get through them.

camccune said...

By the way, it seems that you're missing some assignments.